The Cross Vermont Trail is a project to build a multi-use, four season path across the width of Vermont; following the Winooski River and Wells River valleys.
The trail is connecting together communities, their schools, and the natural areas between. You can help! The Cross Vermont Trail Association is a non-profit organization, member based and volunteer driven. Everyone is welcome to join.
Our vision is to make trails inviting for people of all ages and abilities, providing safe travel to desired destinations, convenient places for healthy activity, and a permanent greenway for easy local access to the natural world - across Vermont!
Cross Vermont Trail is a state wide biking and walking route that highlights local trails, and identifies the best roads that can be used to connect them together to make longer trips. Read our online guide and maps to plan your exploration!
Cross Vermont Trail is a project to build new trails with the long term goal of creating a complete off road route, joining together local trails into a state wide network. This is a true grass roots effort, you can help!
The Cross Vermont Trail is a cooperation of many landowners and local groups. We link together efforts and interests across boundaries. We are a responsible partner to care for trails on land where property owners are interested in allowing public use.
Through PayPal, with any major credit card.
CVTA is a small non profit charity - all contributions go to work on the trail!
Next up on the trail:
- Date: We are resuming regular work on the trails behind U-32 starting Saturday April 23, and running most weekends through the spring.
- Time: You can drop in for any amount of time on days we are working, from 9 Am through the afternoon.
- Meeting: Near the Winooski Bridge site, along the old railbed. From Central Vt Civic Center on Gallison Hill Rd, take the small dirt road across the street (it's the old railbed). About halfway out to the Winooski Bridge and the hydro dam, you will see us working in the woods uphill from the railbed.
- Description: We're building some smaller wooden bridges, also clearing the way for the forested section of the new path, and, full disclosure, digging in the mud - work is ongoing, contact us to get plugged in.
A Historic Construction Season
The Bridge is Built! A ribbon cutting ceremony officially opening the bridge and the first section of new trail to public use is planned for early June 2022. Meanwhile, still reeling from the milestone year of trail building. Read the full season summary here.
And - just for fun - see the crazy drone footage from last July of the amazing launch across the water.
Charting the way forward for the Cross Vermont Trail.
The Winooski Bridge is the start line, not the finish line. Over the past year we have thought deeply and consulted widely about how to continue full steam ahead and make real the vision of the trail across Vermont.
- increase off road trail mileage
- expand visibility of the work we do
- build capacity to be a resilient organization
- promote partnerships to strengthen regional trail networks and increase community vitality
Feature articles about Cross Vt Trail:
See more of the trail route.
from trail journeys.
Read about the trips folks have made on the Cross Vermont Trail route. Just finished your own journey? Let us know what you saw!
Look beneath the surface. Explore the landscape of the trail. (The nature and history guide is keyed to locations in the statewide route map set.)
The guide is written in part by local middle and high school students. We'd like to work with more classes to continue to improve and expand it.